Every garden-maker should be an artist along his own lines. That is the only possible way to create a garden, irrespective of size or wealth.
(Vita Sackville-West)

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Growing Art: Container Garden Design of the Week

It’s a Grand Old Flag!

This is a really simple basic design. So simple in fact, it really shouldn’t be called a design. However, this is a good example of how grouping pots together creates a big impact.


I used three colors of wave petunias: red, blue and silver. The silver is a white flower with purple veins although the flowers sometimes will be lavender instead of white. I chose the silver instead of white because it gave the same effect as pure white without the harshness. Pure white flowers definitely have their place in the garden but just not with bright colors like red and purple, in my opinion.

In my earlier gardening days I would have put one of each color in each pot thinking that would yield the effect of the flag. In doing that, however, each color is actually diminished and mostly it just looks a mess. Putting all one color in a pot allows each color to shine on its own as well as collectively creating a patriotic impact. In general, single plants have less impact except in the instance of accent plants. Here, 3 to 4 petunias per pot provide a big wow factor. If you pinch the plants back within the first month, you will have really full beautiful flowering plants. I know it’s hard to pinch them back when they are just starting to take off, but try it. I promise you won’t be disappointed.

The stand I used here is one I picked up at the street fair some years ago. I love it. However, the same effect could be achieved by using pots of different sizes or by raising up pots with pavers or bricks. This is also an excellent grouping to use on steps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I learned something today about terra cotta pots. I did not know that one should soak them in water before using them. Makes sense - didn't know. Anyway, I'm with you on plastic pots. Lighter, less expensive, less watering, not as breakable and good for those of us who like to change the "decor" of our yard with new, up-to-date pots.

Thanks for the info.