Every garden-maker should be an artist along his own lines. That is the only possible way to create a garden, irrespective of size or wealth.
(Vita Sackville-West)

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Container Gardening Plants: Upright Fuchsias

I don't think there has been any plant more exciting to me in the past few years than the varieties of upright fuchsias we now carry at the greenhouse where I work (Levi Runions Garden Center, check it out!).

Many, many moons ago when I was just a wee baby gardener and didn't have a clue about much in the way of plants, I fell in love with fuchsias. Loved the blooms, loved the color and loved that they are a shade plant. So I bought some. And planted them in the ground because that's where I wanted them to be.

A friend, who was an actual gardener, came over and said, "Um, those go in hanging baskets."

I wondered why those beautiful blooms were hanging in the mud.

So for many years, I gave up on fuchsias all together. I didn't do and still don't do much in the way of hanging baskets. I want my flowers down here where I can see them. I do, however, go crazy on container gardens. Lots and lots of container gardens. Upright fuchsias are perfect for containers.

Strangely enough, my favorite fuchsia is the 'Gartenmeister' fuchsia. It doesn't have the traditional fuchsia bloom but it does have amazing blooms the color of which I've never seen before. It's an electric pink-orange color that contrasts beautifully with the plant's green and burgundy foliage. This plant provides big impact whether it's blooming or not, although once it starts blooming, it doesn't stop. While this plant can be difficult to pair with other plants, it can be done as shown here. On it's own, however, this plant is stunning as well.

Another favorite is 'Winston Churchill'. This plant has the more traditional fuchsia blooms with dynamic dark pink and purple bi-color flowers. Gorgeous. I planned on planting this last summer but grabbed the wrong plant instead. Oops! I will try again this year and plan on combining it with trailing coleus and lobelia.

Other varieties include 'Paula Jane' which has pink and dark rose blooms and 'Santa Claus' or 'Jingle Bells' which both have red and white flowers. All of these varieties are perfect for shade gardens or containers and can be planted alone or in combos. Companion plants include impatiens, begonias, coleus and lobelia.

If you love trailing fuchsias, try adding some of these upright beauties in your shade garden or containers as well. If, like me, you thought fuchsias weren't for you, it's time to give these stunners another look. Chances are you won't be disappointed!

No comments: