Every garden-maker should be an artist along his own lines. That is the only possible way to create a garden, irrespective of size or wealth.
(Vita Sackville-West)

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Pinching Pays Off

A few weeks ago I posted this picture of my petunia pots after pinching. They were, in a word, pathetic. I left them to recover on my deck steps and they recovered well!

After one week, the blue petunias were blooming again and the red ones were sprouting buds. By week two, all three pots were blooming and filling out very nicely. By week three, they were gorgeous!

 Three weeks may seem like a long time, but given what they could look like, it seems like nothing. At this point, these simple little pots are far and away my fullest and most abundant bloomers. 

When it comes to leggy plants, it really does pay to pinch!

No comments: