Every garden-maker should be an artist along his own lines. That is the only possible way to create a garden, irrespective of size or wealth.
(Vita Sackville-West)

Monday, November 15, 2010

Gardening Around the Web: Off-Season Garden Projects

Gardening season is all too short here in the Midwest which leaves us garden lovers with too much time not gardening! Aside from spending that time planning next year's garden, I've found some easy (very easy because I'm lazy) projects that can be done in the off-season to stave off the gardening blues. 

Aluminum Can Plant Markers 
Any project that involves recycling is a project for me! Not having to buy stuff and create even more stuff is a good thing. I like this project not only because it involves recycling but is really simply as well. Many people who commented on the project were concerned about sharp edges and while others who have done this project claim it's a non-issue, others offer easy solutions to combat that if it's a problem for you. The sizes, shapes and labels are only limited by your imagination. I do have to say that I don't quite agree with the author though in her statement that they aren't the most attractive. I love the minimalist industrial design!

Lighted Herb Bookcase 
When I first saw the headline for this project I wrongly assumed this was going to be some complicated woodworking project. Not so! What I love about this is how easy it is to turn something I already have into something functional. I have many prefab book cases I've gotten from various places that I could easily use as a light box. The project suggests using it for herbs which I think is an excellent idea, however, why limit yourself to that? It would also be a great way to add house plants in rooms that don't get much light like north side rooms or the basement. 

Potatoes in a Barrel
More nutritious than a barrel full of monkeys! This isn't exactly an off-season project but I included it because I think it's genius and it may take some planning, particularly if you choose to use a found item rather than purchasing something specific. The basic concept is you plant potatoes in a barrel or other container of proper size in shallow soil. As the foliage grows up, you add more soil and the plant puts down more tubers. When the season is ready, you dump out the container and harvest your potatoes. There is another version here if the barrel thing doesn't work for you. It's basically the same concept but seems more work than I would want to do. However, if you're handy with wood and have scraps laying around, this may be the way to go.

No comments: